Friday, December 27, 2013

Choosing a Trailer!!

A few months ago, I did a minor rehab on a rental property I manage.
I am by no means a "master Rehab'er"
It is more like...
I just don't have enough good sense to know not to try!!


I am one of those silly souls who considers failure a learning experience.  Needless to say, I have a permanent flat spot on my head, from banging it against brick walls.
But
There is something to be said for the person who does not know it can't be done.  When things work out right, nice things are said and; when it turns into a "learning experience" we just fall back on our southern manners and say
Well, bless their heart!!!
I try to keep at least a 50/50 ratio of nice things / to Bless her hearts!!
That being said, I still was not ready to jump on another rehab.  I went looking for a move in ready Double Wide Trailer.  Boy, did I find one!
It was beautiful! Perfect! Amazing!
My paint colors, lots of room, finished sheetrock walls!
It was almost perfect.
But
The price was to high.
The sheetrock would crack when it was moved.
That would have to be fixed.
Then the paint would have to be redone.
The easy way was starting to sound like a money pit.
.
Moving on...
I was praying that the Lord send me to the right trailer and he sent me on a parts run!  As I was passing through Rainsville, Alabama, I passed AAA Mobile Homes.  I got that nagging feeling to stop on the way back.
So, several hours later, I pulled into the lot and took a look around.  They were all repossessed homes in various stages of repair.  None fit the bill the way the first one I found had, but it was my first stop since getting over the "perfect trailer" that was not to be...
I wanted open plan living.  Two looked ok and one fit the bill, if the kitchen had been more open to the living room.  I went in to talk to the salesman, despite my lack of enthusiasm.  I did not like the price on the first two, the third had not been redone yet, so the price was kind'a appealing.  Then Ken (my new favorite person) said the magic words that went right to my middle aged, penny pinching, tired of being cold, frostbitten heart...  
That one has the extra insulation and 2x6 wall.
Hmmm...  isn't that the one with the actual laundry room,  lets go look again I said, and out the door I went!!!
This one required imagination.  Part of the house had no flooring and what was there, well I am not sure it was ever actually in style.  It was half painted and some of the rock had fallen off the fireplace.  Lets be honest, the price was right  and he had me at extra insulation! The laundry / mudroom with a sink in it, well that was like whip cream on the top! All the work that had to be done was cosmetic.  I can do that. 
As quick as it began, the search was over.


4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, living room, dining room, breakfast nook, laundry room ... with a sink and cabinets!  Laundry... in its own room!  wooo hoooo!  The husband can have a whole room and not just a drawer!  2 bathrooms, that are only bathrooms! 1,960 square feet of yummy trailer goodness, just for me and the husband!!
$25,000 for a whole house or for two half houses that make a whole one, however you want to look at it!  I tore out'a that place with the paperwork like I had stole something!!
It was all over but the financing! You would think on such a small amount that would have taken no time, but NOOOOO.....
It seems the red tape is the same on a home loan no matter the loan amount.  So if you go this route, wear you patience!!  You will need it!   You can finance a pick up truck, costing twice that amount, a truck that you can drive off into the sunset, over the phone, in a matter of minutes, but a place to live in...
Lets just say that the things they want to know gets rather comical!  Ohhh!! and make sure you buy a new pen before you go to sign!  The stack of paperwork could be used as a boat anchor for a cruise ship!!!
One you laugh your way through all of that the last thing you will sign are your titles!  Yes, there are two titles, one for each half!!
Then you are officially the Queen of your very own Double Wide Trailer!
Now you just have to wait for your home to come to you!!!
Much Love from 'Bama!
Thori Inspired

No comments: